NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Spanish classes visit Newfields

On September 26, students in Spanish 3X classes went on a field trip to Newfields. Leading up to the field trip, students read a book about artist Frida Kahlo and learned art and music related vocabulary. Spanish 3X students were tested the week leading up to the trip. 

The trip started with visiting the LUME exhibit, which is an interactive experience featuring Van Gogh’s paintings. 

“I liked that the LUME was Van Gogh this year because last year it was Monet and it was a completely different experience,” Spanish 3X teacher and field trip chaperone Whitney Sumpter said.

The LUME also featured a photo booth room where students enjoyed taking photos with their friends and applying Van Gogh styled filters. Finally, The LUME ends with the Sunflower Room meant to showcase Van Gogh’s love of painting sunflowers. 

When asked her favorite part of the field trip, Sumpter said,  “the Sunflower Room because it was really different and the students seemed to enjoy spending time in there.” 

After exploring the LUME for most of the trip, students went through the other galleries to complete their assignment for the day. The field trip concluded with students playing the piano in the Newfields entrance, eating lunch, and having time to either explore the gardens and Lilly House or other galleries in the museum. 

“Taking field trips like this one is important for students because it gets them out in the community and gives them the opportunity to see what Indianapolis has to offer in relation to the subject matter we are learning in class,” Sumpter said.

This field trip marked the end of the Spanish 3X unit on art and music vocabulary. It was a fun day for the students and allowed them to connect what they learned to their community.