Fans thrilled, Clark signs with Fever

Caitlin Clark has signed with the Indiana Fever, bringing on a new era for the Hoosier state’s WNBA franchise. Clark’s arrival promises to redefine the team’s trajectory and capture new fans for the Hoosier state across the nation.

Coming from West Des Moines, Iowa, Clark’s journey to the professional ranks has been nothing short of remarkable. Getting attention from scouts and analysts alike, she quickly emerged as one of the most electrifying prospects in women’s college basketball.

Clark is a legend in the basketball world as she was just recently named Player of the Year, broke the Big Ten all-time scoring record and is a leader in assists. She is especially known for her three-point shots.

Her unique skill set led the Iowa Hawkeyes to back-to-back NCAA championships and falling short in both. Along with many of her accolades in 2023 and 2024, her jersey was retired at the end of the 2024 season.

For the Indiana Fever, securing Clark’s signature represents a huge step for the organization, securing a generational talent. She joins leading scorer Kelsey Mitchell who averaged 18.2 points per game last season.

In 2013, Linn Dunn led the Fever to a WNBA finals and brought home the trophy and was brought back by head coach Stephanie White in 2015. The team is in somewhat of a rebuilding phase and hope Clark can push them over the edge and make the playoffs for the first time since 2016.

Along with being a beast on the court, Clark is known for encouraging the hopes and dreams of female athletes in a male-dominated sports world.

“As a female athlete myself, I love Caitlin Clark,” sophomore Caroline Danielson said, “I like the energy she brings to the court and to womens basketball.”

Clark’s talent has helped bring more attention to women’s sports. This year’s women’s NCAA championship game between South Carolina and Iowa had a combined total of 24 million viewers, which is significantly higher than the combined total of around 14 million viewers who watched the men’s championship game.

According to ESPN, this is the first time in history that a women’s final has had a larger audience than the men’s final.

“I admire the way she’s brought attention to women’s sports,” sophomore Lucy Kaiser said, “She’s going to go down as a sports legend. I mean the amount of people I know who are inspired by her, including myself, is insane.”

As she puts on the red and gold, Clark hopes to improve the Fever’s record from last season which was 13-27 and finished tenth out of 12 teams. Fans are hopeful that Clark helps put Indy back on the map.

“I know Caitlin is going to make Indianapolis popular; think of how many people she’s brought in for the draft alone. Plus, people are so attracted to watching her play that she’s going to bring in so much business downtown during the season,” Kaiser said.

Fever guard Grace Berger is a star player on the team. She, too, looks forward to the addition of Clark.

“The biggest thing about Caitlin is the attention she brings to women’s basketball and impacts far more than just what happens on the court, she’s also going to be a great help for our community and for Indiana,” Berger said.

There is no doubt that Clark’s talent will continue to inspire young athletes across the country.

“Seeing Caitlin on TV more has made people want to have an opportunity to do what she’s done, and it’s so great to see more young players paying attention and following players and wanting to be just like them,” Fever head coach Christine Sides said, “She’s changed the landscape of women’s basketball.”

Not only are Clark’s fans, teammates and coaches happy to have her in Indy, but so is she.
When asked in an interview by talk show host Pat McAfee what she thinks about joining the Fever, “I was hoping the Fever got the first pick,” Clark said.

As the WNBA season approaches, all eyes will be on Caitlin Clark as she moves on to the next chapter of her career. For the Indiana Fever, hopes are high and everyone is ready for Clark to make her journey to Indy.