NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Classroom construction disrupts learning environment

At the beginning of the school year, many teachers were displaced from their classrooms because of construction. While the fieldhouse was built, other classrooms were being updated as well.

As classroom construction continues, numerous teachers have had to switch rooms or even teach mobile, with all of their materials on a cart.

“Moving classrooms during construction was annoying because we were not used to the set up in the other room,” sophomore Lillian Tabor said.

Students and teachers must adapt to the new environments. Students have to adapt to the change of classroom and remember a new classroom to go to.

My AP US history classroom was moved from H hall all the way to the classroom in the Natatorium. This was a huge change for me because my walk to class became many minutes longer.

I had to adapt to this change and to the new environment in which I was learning in for the next couple of months. In this classroom, there were many distractions including the ice machine and the refrigerator.

During class, sometimes we would be watching a video and these machines would kick on randomly. This resulted in us not being able to hear the sound coming from the video. I could not retain the information.

As the current semester began, many classrooms that were moved in the fall were allowed to return to their original ones because a new part of the school would then be under construction.

“I like the new classrooms because they feel nicer and more modern. It is weird because they don’t look like the other rooms but I think once they are done with more it will look much better,” Tabor said.

As I do agree with this, I think they are too modern. The first time I walked into my new classroom, it reminded me exactly of a doctor’s office. It is too gray and bare for me.

While sitting in class, I can hear hammers pounding and other construction noises while trying to learn. This is a distraction for those who are trying to take in the new information given from the teacher.

“There have not been too many construction distractions in my class but the new rooms are very cold,” Tabor said.

As opinions differ regarding construction, I dislike the effects it has on me and other students.