Digital cameras making a comeback among teens

Digital cameras have become increasingly popular over the past couple years. Instead of people just using their phone cameras, they have begun bringing digital cameras, small and large, around with them to document their lives.

It is not only adults who are using these cameras, as they have become popular among teenagers too. Many NC students use digital cameras to document school events including football games, the student section, school fundraisers and dances.

“I took my mom’s sophomore year, and since then have gotten two more since I enjoyed taking photos so much,” senior Cami White said.

“I got a camera for my photography class, but I have started to use it more often outside of school-related projects,” junior Alex Crowe said.

Students have gotten cameras second-hand and for school-related purposes, however they began to love the idea of digital cameras and used them more often than they expected.

Considering the use of cell phone use among teenagers, it is assumed they would just use their camera on their phone. However, some are beginning to prefer a digital camera.

“I prefer my digital camera because the picture quality is much better, also I just feel like it is more fun to take photos with a real camera,” White said.

Some students like the social aspect that digital cameras add.

“I feel like digital cameras are more engaging for me and my friends,” senior Reese Whitfield said, “It’s fun for us to get together and take a photo and share them with each other once they’re downloaded.”

Digital cameras were popular back in the 90s and lost traction when cell phones began incorporating cameras, but now digital cameras are making a comeback.

“I think digital cameras are a fun, cute way to bond with your friends,” Whitfield said.

“I feel like the comeback of digital cameras is good for society to capture moments with better quality images that will last forever,” Crowe said.

Digital cameras are becoming more and more popular among people, specifically teenagers, as they bring them around in their daily lives. From student sections to prom, digital cameras are everywhere.