Purdue hopeful for a successful March Madness run

With March approaching, so is the highly-anticipated March Madness tournament that brings much enjoyment to students and fans each year.

This year’s March Madness tournament is a big one for Hoosiers with the Purdue Boilermakers most likely getting a number one seed in the bracket.

With a very shocking turn, the Indiana State Sycamores are projected to get a spot in the tournament for the first time in thirteen years, with the last time they made it being 2011 when they received a first round exit at the hands of a powerful Syracuse team.

The March Madness tournament is a single elimination bracket style tournament that features 68 of the NCAA’s best basketball teams that year.

Purdue, led by the reigning Naismith College Player of the Year award winner Zach Edey have had an impressive season thus far.

The Boilermakers boast a 23-3 record with wins over Marquette, Arizona and Tennessee.

In last year’s tournament, the Boilermakers had themselves in a similar situation with a record of 29-6 going into the tournament. They took a crushing defeat at the hands of sixteen seed Fairleigh-Dickinson University in the first round.

This made the Boilermakers only the second number one seeded team to be knocked off by a sixteen seed, with Virginia being beaten by UMBC in the 2018 tournament.

Contrary to Purdue and Indiana State, the Indiana Hoosiers men’s basketball team has had a down year with a record of 14-12, with their only tournament hopes being to win the Big Ten tournament and earn a spot in this year’s March Madness Bracket.

With this year’s tournament rapidly approaching, many students and Boilermakers are hopeful that Purdue will bring home their first NCAA tournament win since the founding of the program back in 1896.