Importance of FAFSA, scholarships

As seniors approach the end of their high school careers, they face the task of finding financial aid to cover the high costs of college. These expenses include tuition fees, housing and food expenses, transportation costs, personal expenses, books and mandatory fees.

Many senior parents worry about how to fund their childrens’ college education, but there are ways to obtain financial aid to help alleviate these concerns and provide for their children seeking college degrees.

One of the most effective ways to find financial relief is by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. This application form is completed by incoming college students in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid. It enables the student to qualify for many types of financial aid from several sources.

One of the financial aids that FAFSA provides is the Federal Pell Grant, which aims to assist students from low-income households. After filling out a FAFSA application, these financial hardships are made easier for students.

In addition to applying for the FAFSA form, seniors can also apply for scholarships. Scholarships are awarded based on academic or other achievements and provide financial support for students to further their education.

There are various sources from which students can find scholarships, including counselors, and different types of scholarships are available; such as merit-based scholarships, departmental and program scholarships, donor-funded scholarships, need-based scholarships, athletic scholarships and scholarships for international students. Students can explore these options to find the best fit for their individual needs and qualifications.

There are a variety of options available for students to access financial relief, making it easier for them to manage their expenses while pursuing their education. However, winning a scholarship can be competitive and often depends on a student’s application status and the level of competition from other applicants. Students need to explore all available options and put their best foot forward when applying for scholarships to increase their chances of success.

“Applying for scholarships can be a little stressful but it’s definitely worth it in the end,” senior Hannah Radford said.

“It seems like more work now but it’s beneficial in the future,” senior Livi Follman said.

Grants and scholarships are two types of financial assistance that can help Panthers pursue their career aspirations.