NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Students prepare for final stretch of school year

With the end of spring break, students have started looking forward to the end of the school year. There are six weeks and four final exam days between spring break and summer.

The last quarter of the school year is busy for most students. Spring sports are competing, juniors have prom next weekend, many students are taking AP tests and seniors have events for graduation.

Associate Principal Brian Davis and other administrators try to make sure that everything runs smoothly at the end of the year for seniors and all of the other classes.

“I am always happy for graduation because it is such a fun event for seniors. However, I have mixed feelings because it is sad to see them go,” Davis said, “Especially because a lot of relationships that the seniors have built with staff and even other students may fade as they go to college.”

Freshman Sebastian Granados thinks the school year has gone by quickly, but he is excited for summer. In AP World History, he is beginning to review the whole year for the AP test in May. In most of his other classes, however, he is still learning new material for a few more weeks.

“These next few weeks may be stressful because of AP testing but besides that I do not have any other big events or plans coming up,” Grandados said, “Though, I do have to study for finals because I failed most of them last semester. I wish the new finals policy applied to us.”

Other classes besides history classes have also begun to review their material. Math teacher Joanna Yarbrough teaches geometry, ACP finite and ACP calculus. Yarbrough is sad to see the school year go because she is going to miss the seniors.

“I know that my seniors are moving on to their next stage of life which is wonderful,” Yarbrough said, “However, with this, I often see student behavior changing among juniors and seniors the week before spring break to the end of the year as they begin to review. They tend to be more easily distracted, more talkative and busier.”

Her geometry classes will not review until one week before the final, however, her ACP Finite class has one more test before they begin reviewing. Yarbrough’s ACP calculus class began reviewing after spring break.

“I’m trying to review every topic possible for the final exam while providing my students time for practice tests so they will be confident with their abilities prior to the final,” Yarbrough said.

The final weeks of school from spring break to summer break are busy for many students. Students often become excited for the summer as well as nervous for new chapters in their life. NC administration and teachers recommend that students stay focused and not allow any distractions because the consequences are not worth it.