NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Teacher to take Students on Mexico Trip

This fall break Stephanie Schroeder is taking a group of six students on the second annual fall trip to Mexico.

A group of North Central students will be traveling to Yucatán, Mexico to explore and discover the culture of a drastically different civilization than they are accustomed to.

“I’m infatuated with Mexico. I feel really connected to the culture and decided to share that experience with my students,” Schroeder said.

The itinerary of the trip is full of fun and adventurous opportunities. The trip includes visiting Mayan ruins, sinkholes, the archeological site of Uxmal, Celestún national park, Tulum and Xel-Ha Mayan beach ruins and, most importantly, a trip to a Mexican school.

The goal of visiting the school is not only to interact with kids in the culture and see the differences in education between The United States and Mexico, but to take donations that have been collected to the school.

The trip is open to all Spanish students that are at least in their second year of taking the course. The goal is to have the trip opportunity open every year.

“I would like my numbers to get bigger,” Schroeder said.

There is an option to apply for financial assistance grants so that every student has an equal chance to go.

Schroeder encourages all to experience different cultures by promoting this trip.
“I think a lot of people miss out on the great things Mexico has to over; a rich culture, a dynamic history and a large population of kind, caring people, because they are afraid to visit Mexico.  A lot of that fear is perpetuated by the media.  Of course there are dangerous places in Mexico, but the same can be said for our own city or anywhere else in the world,” Schroeder said. “It really is a great experience and I hope to get more students involved for my future fall break trips.”