Thoughts on March Madness

March is finally here, which means March Madness is coming soon. The 68 team headlines one of the most exciting tournaments in all of sports. What makes this tournament so exciting is its unpredictability.

This unpredictability is proved by the fact that no one has ever had a perfect bracket, which is nearly impossible with all of the upsets.

The selection committee made some questionable decisions when picking out this year’s tournament teams, leaving fans with questions, and some with anger, thinking some teams got “snubbed.”

A few of these teams that were “snubbed” include Indiana State, Seton Hall, Saint John’s, and a few other teams who people thought were deserving of receiving a bid to the tournament.

However, the committee did a good job of picking the rest of the field because this seems to be one of the more unpredictable brackets in recent years. Most people are picking one seed, Uconn, to repeat from last year, but that hasn’t happened since 2007 so it is unlikely.

The other two favorites are also one seeds, Purdue and Houston, but Purdue has some doubts toward them because of their loss to a 16 seed last year, making it the second time in history that a one seed lost to a 16 seed.

I think Purdue will do what Virginia did in 2019, which is win the national championship the year after losing to a 16 seed in the first round; Virginia being the first 1 seed to ever lose to a 16 seed.

Combined with the pure dominance of Zach Edey and all the other gritty players on the perimeter for Purdue, I do not see anyone beating them in this year’s tournament. Purdue also has one of the easiest runs to the final four in the tournament, which increases their chances of winning it all.

It isn’t called March Madness for no reason though, so predictions are next to impossible to make correctly, and that’s why us fans love it so much.