NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Frequent unplanned fire alarms continue into second semester

Recently, NC has experienced multiple unplanned fire alarms. The fire alarms are said to be set off by students vaping in the bathrooms.

The fire alarms sometimes go off during lunch periods which often create even more chaos when trying to get students outside quickly.

The fire alarm often upsets students who have to go outside multiple times a week in the cold weather.

“My lunch has been cut short due to the fire alarms, and it gets really frustrating,” freshman Michael Barda said.

When the fire alarm goes off, depending on what time of day, administration often switches over to a homeroom schedule.

“I don’t like going onto the homeroom schedule because with early release it makes me get out later,” senior Ava Hall said.

The issue of the alarms is believed to be vaping in the bathrooms.

“The number of alarms is quite concerning,” IB coordinator and teacher Andrew Hodson said, “When the alarm sounds, we, the administration, are usually pretty good about finding the person who caused it and giving them the proper consequences.”

Considering the amount of alarms that have been set off lately, the staff is trying to take extra precautions to stop the issue.

“I think posting the consequences outside of the bathrooms and on social media and then following up with them is the best thing we can and have been doing,” Hodson said.

The fire alarms have become a rising issue this semester and they have been disturbing both classes and lunches. Teachers and administration are working together to resolve the issue by continuing to enforce current rules.