NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Students Demand Action club members attend Advocacy Day

Last Tuesday, NC students gathered for Advocacy Day to demand action on gun violence in Indiana. Students met at the Statehouse at 9:30 a.m. to listen to lawmakers and special guest speakers, featuring junior Salsabil Qaddoura.

Qaddoura spoke her stance on gun laws in Indiana and empowered citizens of Indiana to not lose hope.

The goal of the day was to talk to Indiana legislators about rejecting HB 1235, a bill that will expand the federal law’s broad immunity for the gun industry and limit the ability of localities to hold accountability against keepers in the gun industry.

Students and citizens listened to speeches from priest Chris Duckworth, Noblesville mayor Deb Whitfield, Ronnie Sanders’ first responder and Heather Hilbert, leader of the Indiana Moms Demand Action chapter.

“It’s important that us students get involved in action in gun violence because we are the future, and we are the ones that can make the biggest difference,” sophomore Lillian Tabor said.

Tabor joined the club in the middle of her sophomore year, as the topic of gun safety is something she is passionate about.

NC students were not the only ones who showed up at the Indiana statehouse. Students from Burris Laboratory School in Muncie also traveled to attend Indianapolis’ Advocacy Day.

Both NC and Burris Laboratory students talked to multiple lawmakers about their concerns on guns including Representative Jim Lucas.

At the conference, Lucas was conversing about the issue with the Burris Laboratory students in the elevator when he flashed his guns to the students while making his point.

This left Burris Laboratory students feeling threatened and NC students nervous as they were in the building while this was happening.

“My main takeaway is that we, as youth, need to use this to ignite our fire, not dull it,” Burris Laboratory student Alana Trissel said, “Though it is scary to see our lawmakers use weapons as credibility in a debate, we cannot be disheartened.”

“Knowing people like Rep. Lucas carry guns around so casually makes me feel unsafe,” sophomore Julia Eynon said, “We were students for stricter gun laws and he took it as a moment to use his power to make students feel small.”

Eynon has been a part of Students Demand Action for one year and is excited to continue making a difference in the club.

“The NC chapter started last year with a total of four students, and as of yesterday the club has grown to more than 20 kids,” Eynon said.

The Students Demand Action club is growing and progressing to be more widespread. Any NC students looking to make a difference are encouraged to talk to the leader of the club, Salsabil Qaddoura.