NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Quinn’s How To #2: Staying awake in school

Quinns How To #2: Staying awake in school

Tip 1) Try to avoid taking naps. 

• Taking a nap after school can result in trouble falling and staying asleep. Many students will come home every day and take a one to two hour nap. The urge to take naps is partly due to the early start time of school, but most of the problem can be attributed to students staying up too late. If a student really wants to take a nap, they should avoid taking a nap in their bed. Taking a nap in bed results in longer nap time. An alternative to taking a nap in bed would be to take a nap on the couch or in a recliner.

Tip 2) Do not wait until the last minute to do your homework.

• Students will stay up much later than they should because they are doing homework. Students will sometimes underestimate how long it will take them to do their homework, so they will start late and finish even later. If students replace nap time with homework time, they will have less trouble falling asleep. Starting homework late can also result in bad homework grades because students will be tired, so they will not try as hard to find the correct answer.

Tip 3) Shut off your phone when going to bed.

• Students will also stay up later than they should because they are on their phone while laying in bed. A phone is a distraction to getting a good night’s sleep. It is scientifically proven that having a phone in your bedroom prevents sleep, especially within an hour of falling asleep. The sound of a notification causes a person to wake up because they are curious to what the notification is. Staring at your phone also causes sleep prevention because of “blue light.” Blue light is the rays immersing off the screen of a phone that causes a person to stay awake rather than naturally falling asleep.