Students discuss Olivia Rodrigo’s “GUTS” album

On September 8, Olivia Rodrigo released her “GUTS” album. Fans anticipated its release as it had been over two years since she released her first album, “SOUR.” 

“SOUR” became very popular and landed Rodrigo seven Grammy nominations and three wins: the latter for Best New Artist, Best Pop Vocal Album and Best Pop Solo Performance. 

“I listened to ‘SOUR’ and thought it was really good,” freshman Greta Gutwein said.

“I listened to ‘SOUR’ and I loved it,” junior Ruby Rogers said.

People had high expectations for “GUTS” after following the success of “SOUR.” For some fans, the album met or even exceeded their expectations, while for others, it was a let down.

“I listened to ‘GUTS’ and thought it was mediocre,” Gutwein said. 

“I have listened to most of ‘GUTS’ and liked it a lot. It reminded me of 90s rock music,” Rogers said.

Although fans thought “GUTS” was a good album, many did not think it was as good as “SOUR.”

“I like ‘SOUR’ better than ‘GUTS’ because I feel like the songs on ‘SOUR’ were better,” Gutwein said.

“I like ‘SOUR’ better because the songs were really good,” Rogers said.

“SOUR” included 11 different tracks and “GUTS” included 12 tracks. Fans tend to find Rodrigo’s songs relatable, as they are filled with emotion.

“My favorite song on ‘SOUR’ is ‘happier’ and my favorite song on ‘GUTS’ is ‘get him back!’” Gutwein said.

“My favorite song on ‘SOUR’ is ‘traitor’ and my favorite song on ‘GUTS’ is’ vampire,’” Rogers said. 

At only 20 years old, these two albums are only the beginning of Olivia Rodrigo’s career. Her current success proves promising for the future and fans continue to look forward to what she will do next.