NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Masters comes to an end, crowns second-time champion

The long-awaited Masters golf tournament came to an end on Sunday. A second time champion was crowned, who was also the betting favorite, Scottie Scheffler.

This win has cemented the dominance of Scheffler in the past three years, being number one in the world longer than anyone else in that time period. Scheffler only had one major championship win prior to his win on Sunday, which was also the Masters in 2022.

The road to his 2024 Masters win wasn’t an easy one, though, being behind for two of the four rounds, with Bryson Dechambeau getting off to a hot start in the first two rounds. But, the Masters favorite came back and sealed the deal to claim his second major victory.

The last time the favorite won the Masters was Tiger Woods back in 2005. Many have compared Scheffler’s run in the past few years to Woods’ run in the early 2000s, with continuous dominance from both men. But from a perspective of all-time success, Scheffler is nowhere near Woods’ 82 PGA tour wins and 15 majors. Scheffler has 9 PGA tour wins and 2 majors, but he is only 27 years old, compared to Woods, who is 48.

There were some disappointing performances from some players who had higher expectations, such as Rory Mcilroy, who didn’t even make the cut last year, and finished at four over par.

Another disappointing performance was Brooks Koepka finishing at nine over, who dominated most of the weekend last year at Augusta but lost in a heartbreak to John Rahm.

It all depends on the weekend a player has though, because any player at any given moment in these major tournaments can break out and get the victory.

With all the stories and highlights, this made a Masters weekend for the history books and definitely one to remember.