NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Track transitions from indoor to outdoor season

On March 23, the indoor track team went to the fairgrounds to compete for their last indoor track meet of the season, which was state. Both boys and girls placed third and multiple school records were set.

Some school records were the girls DMR, girls 4×8 and the 3200.

As the team reaches the end of indoor track, they look forward to a fresh track season outdoors where they can enjoy the nice weather outside.

“Outdoor track is definitely more fun because it’s the more traditional format, but indoor coaching is a lot of fun as well because it’s a smaller track, everyone closer together you can see more of the races and I get their splits more easily,” track coach Chad Wallace said.

Wallace coaches girls long distance running, cross country, indoor and outdoor track.

Now that the indoor track season is wrapped up, outdoor track season comes quickly as the track team had their first meet on Tuesday against Noblesville.

“I like outdoor track better because of the weather and there’s not as many turns on the track,” sophomore Grant Hostetler said.

Hostetler is considered one of the boys best long distance runners as he improves each season, cutting off time in his events consistently. Hostetler runs the 3200 and 1600, which are the longest running events in track.

Part of the reason Hostetler enjoys running so much is because of the team. He has made many friends and considers the team a second family.

“My friends and team help me get through the season, specifically my friend Elliot Deryke.” Hostetler said.

Deryke and Hostetler became friends while being on the team and go through each running season together.

The main difference between indoor and outdoor track is that the indoor track is 200 meters instead of 400, making indoor distances seem longer than they really are.

Outdoor track season started at the end of March and goes to the very end of the school year. The weather is relatively warm, which runners usually favor.

Athletes also typically prefer outdoor tracks because turns on a track are a pain for athletes.

“Indoor practices are earlier in the season so we don’t have as many speed workouts and are still working on maintaining miles, but as soon as we get outside we start using the track for more speed workouts,” Wallace said.

Wallace is considered one of NC’s best coaches among the athletes, as he is well-educated on running, constantly well prepared and his best interest will always be in the athletes.

“Just Saturday alone, the distance girls set three school records. Both Rocchio girls, Kaelina Matthews and Kelsey Rehmel have had an amazing indoor season and I hope that continues outdoors,” Wallace said.

The track team thrives in both indoor and outdoor seasons and while they transition to outdoor, they always look forward to improving and succeeding.