Students participate in inaugural volleyball tournament

On Sunday, the Senior Class Council hosted the first ever senior volleyball tournament. There were eight teams, each with six to 10 players.
To keep it fair, several of the boys varsity volleyball players volunteered to referee. Games were played best of three sets. The first two sets were played to 21, and the third went to 15.
The only requirement for teams to be eligible to play was submit their sign-up sheet with a roster on it the week before and have each player pay $5. The money raised will go toward Grad Dance, Blast Off and other senior activities at the end of the year.
Senior class president Carter Brames put extensive work into getting this fundraiser organized. Especially considering it was the first senior volleyball tournament, Brames and the other members of the Senior Class Council had no blueprint.
“[Planning the tournament was] complicated,” Brames said, “There were a lot of variables that went into it with the athletic department, custodial staff and hosting it on a Sunday.”
Despite these challenges and obstacles, the event went smoothly.
“I think it’s going really well,” Brames said during the event, “People are having a lot of fun and there hasn’t been anything that’s gone wrong.”
Matt Kovalan, one of the key players on the winning team, enjoyed how casual the tournament was. Although his team won, they did nothing to prepare.
The team did hold a slight advantage over other teams because it included two current boys varsity volleyball players. In addition, Kovalan used to play volleyball.
However, their championship game was a close one. Not only did it go to three sets, but the score was close too. It ended 13-15 with Kovalan’s team on top.