Boys golf coach hopeful for successful season

Boys golf season is underway and the team is set after tryouts last week.
There are many returning players, as well as new faces this season. Several seniors graduated last year and opened up new spots.
“I certainly think we’ll have another competitive season,” head coach Alexander Lantz said, “We’ve got a couple seniors coming out, Jackson Scott and Grant Spencer, that I think are gonna help us a lot. But we’ve got some young returning talent.”
This is Lantz’ first year as head coach and he is excited for the new talent.
“We certainly have a lot of young guys that are new to the program, so we’ve got a lot of growth in that area,” Lantz said, “I think that we’ll have some good cohesiveness by the end of the year.”
Coach Lantz has high hopes for the upcoming season.
“I certainly expect us to win conference, compete in county and then have a good chance of getting out of sectionals.”
Compared to the girls season, the boys season is much longer of a stretch. Lantz is mentally prepared for the challenge.
“Boys season is almost three months long, so it’s a little bit more of a grind,” Lantz said, “We’ve got a lot of exciting tournaments on the weekends and it’s certainly a time commitment, but I love being out on the golf course. It’s pretty peaceful when you’re out there.”
With the boys season in full swing, the coach and players hope for a larger turnout in support for the team.
“All of our home matches are at Coffin Golf Course near 28th and Cold Springs,” Lantz said, “You can just check the schedule on the NC sports website and come out. We’d love to have a group of people come out and watch.”