Students appreciate three-day weekend

On Monday, school was closed for Presidents Day to honor the U.S. Presidents. The three-day weekend makes people very excited.

“The importance of Presidents’ day is to celebrate our past presidents,” sophomore Maria Beck said.

Some students care less about the holiday, and more about the day off.

“I do not know the importance of Presidents Day but I appreciate the day off,” senior Spencer Hamilton said.

Presidents Day is celebrated on the third Monday of February to honor all past and present presidents. People across the country reflect on the presidents’ contributions to the country’s history and development. Some students do not fully understand why this day is celebrated.

There are many different activities people do on Presidents day and throughout the three-day weekend, whether it is going on a vacation, or staying at home.

“I hung out with my friends and went to dinner with them,” Beck said.

Many restaurants were closed on Monday because of Presidents Day. While small businesses and restaurants were closed, many fast food restaurants remained open.”

“For Presidents Day weekend I went skiing with my friends at Boyne Highlands Ski Resort,” Hamilton said.

Unexpected weather occurred Friday afternoon. The snowfall allowed for students to enjoy skiing and sledding.

“The weather had a major impact on our drive to Michigan. It took us over four hours just to get out of Indiana,” Hamilton said.

The weather that occurred this weekend made drives twice as long as they usually would be. Many students were affected by the weather as they were leaving town for the three day weekend.

“I think Presidents’ day is good because it gives us more rest and allows for better performance in school,” Beck said.

The extended weekend provided students with additional rest and rejuvenation. This was a good break for students to have between winter break and spring break. Presidents Day weekend marks the halfway point from winter break to spring break. It is crucial for students to have a break to take their minds off of school work.