Annual youth cheer clinic is successful

The state champion varsity cheer team hosted a clinic during the last home game of the season vs. Fort Wayne Carroll.

The team hosts this event every year. It is for WTS students in Kindergarten through eighth grade and there were roughly 160 kids in attendance.

The cost was $35 per child. Included in the cost was a t-shirt and one ticket to the basketball game for a parent to use.

State champions worked throughout the week in preparation for the clinic.

“We had practiced Tuesday and Thursday in preparation for Saturday,” senior Laila Collins said, “During these practices we planned out grade level appropriate cheers for the kids to perform at the game.”

When the kids arrived, they were welcomed by coaches and cheerleaders in the brand new fieldhouse.

“We started our day getting to know the kids in our groups,” Collins said, “Then we came together for a group stretch and we taught them the proper jump techniques of a North Central cheerleader. We then branched off into our grade level groups.”

Not only was the clinic exciting for the children, but the team thoroughly enjoyed it, too.

“My favorite part of hosting the cheer clinic was getting to share my passion of cheer with the aspiring cheerleaders and getting to see all of the performances during halftime,” Collins said.

The team feels that the clinic is a memorable experience for the children.

“It was special for the kids because they look up to us,” Collins said, “Them getting to perform at the game with their families watching was really exciting for them.”

The cheer team plans to host the clinic again next year.