Student band ‘Annie-Babie’ releases songs on Spotify

About a week ago, the band Annie-Babie released five original songs on Spotify. The band is made up of three NC seniors – Skylar Robinson, Carson Hoberty and Sarah Scherrer – and Skylar’s older brother, Zach.

Originally EEDAH BRIGH (pronounced “eat a brick”), the group decided to change the name when they began to get more gigs. The name Annie-Babie has a special meaning to the band, especially the Robinson brothers. Their grandmother, Annie, named her ukelele Annie-Babie.

Skylar is the singer, lead guitarist and writer for the band.

“The hardest part of the process is writing lyrics, as musical ideas can always spring up,” Skylar said, “All the ideas are hard to fit and piece together in a way that gives the song meaning and pushes towards the great idea or theme of the song.”

Most of the band members met through the jazz bands here at NC. However, in addition to the jazz band, Hoberty and Scherrer are constantly working together in the show choir band and wind ensemble.

The band feels that all the music programs they are a part of at NC have made them better musicians and expanded their knowledge.

They have all taken music theory and are active participants in several of the school bands and orchestras. These classes and programs continue to encourage their students to pursue their goals in music and push them to learn and improve their talents.

Through the new auditorium and the offering of classes centered around music and theater, NC continues to show support for its students interested in pursuing careers in music. Our show choirs often finish at the top of their competitions and our musicals and plays always have a success and pull quite the crowd.

Annie-Babie is one incredible example of the success students can find and the hard work they are willing to put in with the proper support.