Boys basketball prepares for rematch with LN

Last week, after previously defeating Lutheran High School (78-64) and Park Tudor (61-58), the boys basketball team played Lawrence North (LN) in the Marion County Semi-Finals at Southport High School.

NC is ranked no. 12 in the state and LN is ranked second. The Panthers lost 53-73.

NC plays LN again this week. The team has been working hard, preparing for their rematch.

“We had a really good week of practice,” coach Mateo Rivera said, “Everybody was focused pretty much the entire week, so I think we’re gonna be prepared.”

The boys put in a tremendous amount of effort and it was noticed by the coaches.

“Well I think a lot of our guys will step up,” Mateo said, “I think some of our captains, Jaxson Bell, Papi Rivera, I think those guys will step up. I think some of our bench guys will step up. I think Jeremiah Bellamy will play a big role in tonight’s game as well as guys like Gavin and Denhm will step us as well.”

The boys realized their mistakes from their previous game against LN. From realizing their errors, they figured out what they needed to do differently.

“We didn’t rebound, down the stretch we started giving up, we didn’t match their energy,” junior Papi Rivera said.

The team decided to make some changes.

“We’re gonna have more energy and play more aggressive,” junior Nijah Jewell said.

“We’re gonna rebound more, we’re gonna play harder, and not give up,” Rivera said.

The team has been motivated throughout the week to do the best they can and fans are excited to see the outcome of the game.

“I believe everybody is finding their niche for our team and what they can bring to the table,” Mateo said, “I think we had a really good practice as far as everybody pushing each other to get us prepared for tonight’s game.”

Update: Panthers lost 60-62 by a three-pointer shot in the remaining seconds.