Student Council prepares for Homecoming Week

Homecoming and Spirit Week are two events planned by Student Council. Earlier this month, they announced the details of Spirit Week from September 25 to September 29, and the Homecoming dance on September 30. 

The themes for Spirit Week are Barbenheimer on Monday, Holla-Dayz on Tuesday, Age Wars on Wednesday, Tropical on Thursday and Class Colors on Friday. 

The Homecoming football game is on Friday, and the theme is Class Colors. 

Student Council President Mallory Neal works during homeroom and the Student Council Officers work during fourth and fifth period to plan the events. 

“Our council is working really hard to make sure Spirit Week is great and the decorations and food and everything is all ready for the dance on the 30. We are going to sell tickets during lunch from the 27 through the 29 of September, but you can also buy them on GoFan,” Neal said. 

At tailgate on August 25, the Student Council hung up QR codes in the student center that allowed students to vote on the Homecoming dance theme. On August 29, Student Council announced the theme: Enchanted Garden. 

“We really want to go for a magical vibe so we are going to do lots of vines and fairy lights and lanterns. It is in the gym this year so we’re going to work on using that space to make it feel a lot like a garden,” Neal said. 

Student Council brings some changes to the dance this year. The dance is in the Main Gym instead of the student center this year so there is more space.

“The administration of North Central was able to work with us and let us use the gym which we are really grateful for, but that does mean we can’t wear hard sole shoes just so we don’t scuff up the floor in our varsity gym,” Neal said. 

Nominations for Homecoming Court were open to students on Skyward on September 12 and 13. The Homecoming Court was then announced on September 15 during period 10. 

The queen nominees are Liliana Andrean, Jasmine Cho, A’Niya Hill, Kaitlyn Hoff and Zariyah Lambert. The king nominees are Joe Barda, Seamus Covington, Jack Glassley and Carter Vermilion. 

Voting takes place on September 28 and the king and queen are crowned during the dance. 

Freshman Ellie Hamilton plans on dressing up for spirit week and attending the homecoming football game and dance. 

“I think the Student Council has done a good job trying to advertise homecoming and spirit week because I have seen posters in the hallways and announcements on the news,” Hamilton said. 

Although many students are participating in Spirit Week and Homecoming, not all students are. Junior Elliot DeRyke does not plan on dressing up for Spirit Week and cannot attend the dance. 

“The themes for Spirit Week are just okay and I don’t really want to dress up for them,” DeRyke said, “I am going to go to the football game on Friday, though, but I am not going to the dance because I have a cross country meet. If I didn’t, I still don’t know if I would go.”

Student Council continues to post on Instagram to update students on any additional details and changes to Spirit Week and Homecoming.