Girls golf prepares for sectionals

The girls golf team, coached by science teacher Alex Lantz and math teacher Jeremiah Levin, has been busy all season. The team has 2-4 matches per week. 

Golf practices started July 31 and the team had their first match on Aug. 3. Since then, the team has competed in 18 matches against schools across the state. 

As the Sectional tournament approaches on Sept. 18, the team has been especially busy preparing for this final match. 

“I am trying to get better sleep and work hard at the range in order to be ready for sectionals,” junior Katie Short said.

The team’s home course is Coffin Golf Course, but they also spend time practicing at the Gray Eagle driving range. 

To make sure the team scores and places well at sectionals, all the golfers have individual goals that they think will help improve their personal game. 

“Each time I play I want my score, or at least some aspect of my game, to improve so I know I’ll be at my best when the season ends,” Short said. 

A big match like sectionals can last anywhere from 4-6 hours, so it is important for the golfers to have a good mindset throughout the entire match. 

“It is easy to get frustrated, so I have to make sure that if I play bad on one hole, it doesn’t make me play bad on the next one too,” Short said. 

At the sectional match, the NC girls will be individually grouped with other golfers from Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, Shortridge, and Arsenal Tech. 

Although the NC team won’t all be together for sectionals, they still work hard to help each other out and make sure that they will all play their best. 

“As a team, we do a good job always lifting each other up and keeping each other motivated. We have a lot of fun when we get to play together,” Short said. 

For final preparations, the team had a practice round at Maple Creek, the course they’re playing at for sectionals. 

“It was important to practice at Maple Creek so we know the layout of the course and how to navigate it so we can make sure we do our best,” Short said.