Student reflects on theater career

Melton plays the lead role in a musical. Melton is used to singing and dancing on stage, which helps her prepare for different roles.

Gus Osborn, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Rehearsals for the fall musical “Mamma Mia!” have begun as auditions have come to a close. The actors and musicians in the production will be practicing from the week of Sept 20, 2021 until the premiere on Nov 18, 2021. Rehearsals take place almost every day from 2:45 p.m. to 6 p.m. after school.

Junior Madeline Melton is in the ensemble and will be a part of many of the dance and singing numbers throughout the show.  

“Basically I’ll be doing the dances, and be like guests at a hotel and stuff like that,” said Melton. 

Melton has participated in theater since she was in third grade. She was inspired to start acting from her favorite actors, Gene Kelley and Reese Witherspoon. 

“The main thing that I love about theater is that you can express yourself,” said Melton.

Melton said that she loves the social aspect of theater as well. This includes meeting new people and learning from them. She has learned various techniques and tips from those that she works with.

“The strong community feeling makes the theater program here special,” said Melton. 

She also says the theater director, Joe King, makes theater more enjoyable. 

“He makes every day fun, but also is strict about working, so we get stuff done and have fun at the same time,” said Melton.

Melton was especially excited when she learned that “Mamma Mia!” would be the musical. Her grandparents showed the movie to her when she was three years old. Melton says that theater and watching movies has connected her more with her family

Melton plans on participating in theater after high school at either Ball State University or Indiana University. However, she would like to major in journalism instead of performing arts.