Coach still hopeful despite indoor season cancellation

A student runs in the state cross country tournament. Taylor Marshall is the head boys track and cross country coach.

Max Grueninger, Reporter

Social studies teacher, cross country and track and field coach Taylor Marshall discusses his feelings about the upcoming track season.

Q: How do you feel about  the decision to cancel the indoor track season?

A: It’s certainly disappointing but understandable. Most indoor meets are hosted on college campuses. It’s no surprise they don’t want a large group of people from different areas congregating inside. While Indiana does not have an official indoor track and field season, the indoor meets allow for competition in March. Training from November through spring break (after which most outdoor meets occur) can make for a boring time. Additionally, the indoor meets allow us to practice events like long jump and hurdles. Not having an indoor facility at North Central really puts us behind other MIC and Marion County schools.

Q: Is it upsetting to miss the Indoor MIC tournament meet for the second year in a row? Or is the main goal just pushing towards the state tournament?

A:The main goal is always to perform well in the state tournament. The MIC provides strong competition to help prepare us along the way. Overall, the MIC is the premier track and field conference in the state of Indiana.

Q: Do you think missing indoor season will benefit you or not? 

A: We’ve been fortunate enough to add outdoor meets in southern Indiana to our schedule to replace lost indoor meets. Our fingers are crossed for favorable weather 3 Saturdays in March down in New Albany. If those meets are cancelled due to weather, it will definitely be a setback. Good news though; our competition will be in the very same boat.