Basketball season begins

Avi Sarkar, Reporter

Last week girls basketball started their season facing Westfield. The girls defeated the Shamrocks 67-37. On Saturday, they also faced Brownsburg and won 47-44.  Ava Couch the sophomore likes how the season is playing out, “It felt awesome especially with everything going on right now with COVID-19. The whole team is really just so thankful to even be out on the court let alone the season 2-0,” Couch said. 

Against Brownsburg, North Central was leading the game throughout three quarters and had the edge, Brownsburg fought back, but the Panthers won by three. “Every player on this team is a competitor and pours their heart and soul into the team to provide everything they can to get the win. We also held great composure when put into difficult positions and were able to finish the game on top even when Brownsburg had the momentum on their side,” Couch said. The girls look to be 3-0 in Portland, IN against Jay County this Saturday.

Boys basketball tryouts will continue today. The team will be going in a new direction with former player and new coach, Jason Gardner. Brian Hahn resigned and moved on to the coaching job at Brownsburg High School. 

BJ Williams, a returning senior player, is waiting to finish his high school career. “I hope Coach Hahn is doing well. I wish him the best at his new job, but I’m very excited to see where the team can go this year under Coach Gardner. We must turn heads this year,”  Williams said.  Mike Elliot, another returning senior, is excited to play his final season and have a run to a state title, “I know it’s sad to see Coach Hahn leaving us, but I know he still wants the best for us. I’m excited for Coach Gardner. He is coming from his college coach experience and I feel like he will coach us and teach us like college athletes. It will prepare me for when I actually go to college,” Elliot said. 

A huge loss to the team is center, Charlie Peterson. He brought size, toughness and competitiveness to the team last year. Peterson will play basketball for Army this year.

Quinton Boyd, a returning senior, responds when asked about Leland Walker and the team this year, “Leland will play as well as he did last year. The ball will be shared a lot more even though we have more talent this year. All around we will be the best team that NC has had in a very long time,” Boyd said. The first game is on November 25 at 7:30 p.m. at Brownsburg.

Wrestling has begun the season with four returning seniors from last year. Also, two girls will be on the team senior Ameilia Barry and junior Kaisdy Schenk. When asked about the team this year Barry said, “I really wanted to wrestle because I’m usually drawn to the more aggressive sports. Knowing a lot of people on the team I knew the dynamic they had. I also knew that you would be pushed to be your best and I wanted that.” The first wrestling match is on Tuesday, December 1 at 6:00 p.m. at North Central.