Student section success

The student section filled with team spirit. The football team defeated Hamilton Southeastern 31-13.

The football team started off the season with a convincing 31-7 win over Fishers on Friday, Aug. 17. They extended their record to 2-0 as they defeated Hamilton Southeastern Aug. 24.

A key factor in any team’s success is their ability to feed off fan energy. With each new year comes a new “leader” of the student section. This person is responsible for leading chants and keeping fans engaged in the game.

Senior Jack McBride established himself as the head of the student section Aug. 17 against Fishers.

“I could barely talk after Friday’s game because I was screaming so loud throughout the whole game,” McBride said.

McBride and a group of seniors created a group chat over the summer and discussed props and leading the student section for the games. There is not an organized way to become the leader but normally someone steps up and fills the role.

“You have to want to lead and be really passionate for the student section to work,” McBride said.

Students take pride in their school’s athletics and the student section is a way to express this emotion and passion. McBride is satisfied with the energy of the student section in past years but thinks there is still room to improve.

“We still have a long way to go. Less than half of the students actually dressed in the red, white and blue theme last week. We need better participation,” McBride said.

McBride will hope to continue this energy in the football team’s next home game against Warren Central on Friday, Aug. 31.