Baker, Vatnsdal named Senior Athletes of The Year

Alva Erskine, Feature Staff

Senior Charlie Baker has played sports all four years of his high school career. Baker plays baseball and basketball. This year, Baker has been awarded with the Senior Athlete of the Year  award.

“This award is important to me because it’s a big school with a lot of good athletes and my sister won it two years ago,” Baker said.

Baker has been on varsity for both baseball and basketball multiple years.

Baker and Vatnsdal were awarded plaques for their Senior Athlete of the Year awards.

“I’ve been playing basketball and baseball since I was five. I’ve only played basketball and baseball here, but I like them equally,” Baker said.

“My favorite memory was winning the county tournament for basketball my junior year,” Baker said.

Baker is going to the University of Illinois next year and studying business.

“I’m going to the University of Illinois and I’m not playing sports. I might try to walk on for baseball though,” Baker said.

Senior Emma Vatnsdal has been running all four years of high school. Vatnsdal won the 2023 Senior Athlete of the Year award.

“This award is so important to me because I’ve dedicated so much of my time and energy to running over the last four years of high school, which made that recognition very special. I’ve also had to balance running with Counterpoints, seven other club memberships, and my AP/ honors workload which has been very challenging at times, but winning this award really made all of that worth it,” Vatnsdal said.

Running has been part of Vatnsdal’s life for years.

“I ran my first race when I was eight, but I officially joined running club in fifth grade and have been on my school’s track and cross country teams since,” Vatsndal said.

Vatnsdal also has her college planned out while being committed to run there as well

“I will be attending Amherst College in Amherst, Massachusetts and I am committed to run both track and cross country there,” Vatsndal said.