Students express opinions and outlooks for upcoming spring sports seasons

The updated baseball field is practice-ready after thousands of dollars were poured into the program in the off season.

Abel Flessner, Managing Editor

With the winter sports having just ended last week, and the spring sports season incoming, spring sports have been happily surprised with the warm weather and the ability to practice outdoors before tryouts even start.

The privilege to practice outside is great for spring sports. Since all but one spring sport is played outdoors, the advantage of getting outside and getting back into practice before the season is beneficial.

Spring sports include baseball, softball, track, lacrosse, rugby, boys volleyball and girls tennis.

Many of these sports are on track to do very well. Baseball is looking great with a deep roster and a new coach, track has team members that could go very far on both the boys and girls side and lacrosse and softball have already started up.

Students practice all winter and besides track (who does indoor track), this week will be the first that athletes will get a look at their team for the first time, and be able to assess how well they will do.

“I am looking forward to track this spring. We have a pretty good team that could definitely qualify for state,” junior Spencer Collins said.

The track team has gotten a very good look at things this offseason having multiple indoor meets. The team has the privilege of being able to compete in both winter and spring, to give the coaching staff the ability to assess the team’s talent.

“I am most looking forward to girls tennis, I think the season’s going to go well, I’m excited for it,” sophomore Isabel Tipmore said “I think the team is going to be good. He [girls tennis coach Matt Riley] said we are ranked like top 10 in the state.”

If the girls tennis team has some success, our tennis program will look great, as the boys team won state this past fall.

“I’m looking forward to baseball and the season is going to go great,” sophomore Colton Schueller said, “I expect no losses under Coach McClain, he’s the best coach I’ve had in baseball. They’re [the varsity team] gonna win the whole thing.”

The baseball team is certainly looking great going into the season. With many outdoor practices, the team has gotten a lot of quality work outdoors to prepare for the season.

Spring sports will continue to start up tryouts and play games to begin their seasons in the coming weeks, so look out for rosters and schedules.