Should cellphones be allowed in classrooms?

Students+feel+they+have+the+freedom+to+be+on+their+phones+whenever+they+want%2C+even+though+many+teachers+try+to+stop+them.+Phones+can+be+distracting%2C+but+can+also+be+helpful+in+school.+

Students feel they have the freedom to be on their phones whenever they want, even though many teachers try to stop them. Phones can be distracting, but can also be helpful in school.

Antionette Frazier

A teacher’s worst nightmare is the infamous cell phone. To some this is the ultimate distraction, but can phones be beneficial to a student’s classroom environment? 

Cell phones have always been frowned upon in the classroom, but due to recent technology it has become more difficult to keep them out of the hands of students. Even though cell phones can be a distraction for students, they can also benefit a child’s learning.

Projects and assignments require research, and students must either go to the library or find another way to receive the information. Cell phones provide students with easy access to information and motivate them to complete the assignment.

Also a cell phone can make a student feel more comfortable and safe in a classroom environment. Sadly, multiple schools have fallen victim to mass shootings and other violence, causing some students to no longer feel safe in a classroom setting. Having their cell phone with them can help students feel secure.

Cell phones can bring multiple advantages to a student: easy access to information, safe classroom environment and improved communication with other students. Listening to music has been proven to help people focus better as well. 

However, cell phones do have some downsides and can bring harm to a school environment. 

Phones can be a distraction, especially with social media. It is difficult for a student to complete the classroom assignments when they spend the whole time scrolling through Instagram. 

This can be very frustrating for a teacher when they spend time preparing and providing instruction and there is a lack of attentiveness from students.

While cell phones can be a distraction, the privilege to use them in class should not be taken away due to a small number of irresponsible students.