Stadium locker break-in concerns many

The+stadium+locker+room+includes+the+cross+country%2C+soccer+and+football+teams.+The+alleged+break-in+took+place+during+the+summer+and+involved+multiple+teams.+

The stadium locker room includes the cross country, soccer and football teams. The alleged break-in took place during the summer and involved multiple teams.

Grace Green, Assistant Editor

Over the past few years, several incidents have taken place with stolen items and break-ins at the stadium locker rooms. Additionally, over the moratorium this summer, multiple items were stolen from different teams’ locker rooms.
Coaches, trainers, and administrators have started taking precautions to avoid similar situations in the future. NC athletic director Andy Elkins says the school has made the building as secure as possible as of right now.
“We’re adding alarms, camera systems, and changing the outdoor locks; that’s as secure as the building could be,” Elkins said.
Moratorium consists of a time where the building has no students, staff, or athletics present at the school for one week, so no one was in the field house at the time. Elkins stated he had not received any more information or updates on the burglary.
“Once I filed the police report, finding out the person who did it was out of our hands, and I have not heard any updates on it since then,” Elkins said
There are no suspects or witnesses in the investigation; therefore, Elkins believes it could have been anyone. The burglar mainly stole athletic gear, including jerseys and football gloves, but the burglar took no electronics. The lack of stealing electronics and other valuable items shows the thief’s motive was getting athletic gear. The school has already ordered replacement jerseys for athletics, Elkins stated.
In past break-ins, the culprits have vandalized the field house rather than stolen items or gear. Many athletes have wondered why the school did not add more security at that time. The reasoning for this decision was the risk of accidentally filming students in the locker room.
“The reason we’re adding these safety measures now is that there are many locker room security issues; we want the best for students’ privacy and safety,” Elkins said.
Athletes who are in the locker rooms almost every day have been frustrated and worried about the situation. Senior football player Rodney Joseph has been affected by the burglary.
“I had nothing stolen, but almost everyone with their lockers unlocked got their gloves stolen; my teammate also had a pair of shoes stolen,” Joseph said.
Many athletes have chosen to leave expensive belongings with coaches and student managers rather than in the locker room due to fear of them being stolen.
“I don’t trust my stuff being in the locker room without supervision because of the break-in,” Joseph said. Athletes vouched for cameras on doors in the field house for a while after hearing of past break-ins and players having their stuff stolen.
“They definitely should have added cameras to the entryway a long time ago, I think,” Joseph said.
With no updates or leads on who might have burglarized the fieldhouse, people are bound to have speculations on who did it, whether it was a student, staff member, or random person.
“I doubt it was an NC student, but I do think it was a student from another school,” Joseph said.