Students begin to get vaccinated

Junior+Claire+Buddenbaum+received+her+first+dose+of+the+Pfizer+COVID+vaccine.+Children+16+years+and+older+can+now+receive+vaccinations.+

Junior Claire Buddenbaum received her first dose of the Pfizer COVID vaccine. Children 16 years and older can now receive vaccinations.

Kate Peterson, Reporter

On March 31, 2021 Governor Eric Holcomb opened up the COVID vaccine sign ups for teenagers who are 16 years old or older. The Pfizer vaccine is the only approved vaccine of the three that is said to be safe for teenagers.

Many teens have signed up to get their vaccines or have gone to a local pharmacy when there are left over doses to get their vaccine. 

Junior Lauren Stolz received her first dose of the vaccine on April 4. “I got the vaccine because I wanted to protect myself while I’m at school and playing sports because those can be risky activities. I also got it for my grandparents because I haven’t given them a hug for over a year and I can’t wait to be fully vaccinated so I can see them safely,” said Stolz.

Another Junior, Claire Buddenbaum also received her first dose of the vaccine. “I chose to get the vaccine because they made everyone 16 and up eligible and I wanted to do what could help us get back to ‘normal’. Also I was constantly fearing getting it and it’s a big relief knowing I have some protection against it,” Buddenbaum said. 

With COVID  vaccinations being opened up to teens, several recommend getting the vaccine if eligible. 

“I think if everyone is able to, they should get the vaccine. It is definitely a personal choice, but I think in order to get out of this pandemic, this is a major step to getting over this virus. If you are unsure if you should get it, I think you should research and get fully educated before making a decision,” Stolz said.

“Yes I would recommend others get the vaccine if they are able to. I think even if you do get side effects in the long term, it is 100 percent worth it and will allow us to have larger gatherings again. So many lives will be saved, so if you can, get it,” Buddenbaum said.