Theater director ranks his favorite musical productions

Students perform at an NC theater production. This year theater students have been limited due to COVID protocols.

Lucy Pappas, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Theater director Joe King ranks his top ten favorite productions. 

1. Les Miserables

“The production was amazing from top to bottom. We even had an automated 30-feet wide revolving circular stage floor.”

2. The Wizard of Oz

“Multiple members of our North Central cast from this show have gone on to appear on Broadway, in London’s West End and one has earned an Emmy Award.”

3. West Side Story

“It was powerful. The audience was crying as they left. Not to mention that I had to step in at the last second and play a tiny role in the production.”

4. Hairspray

“Hairspray is a feel good story about racial equality and body positivity and included the most diverse cast of any NC musical.”

5.  Beauty and the Beast

“The crowds were so large that it was standing room only and many potential audience members, including sad little girls in princess costumes, were turned away at the door without tickets because the demand was so high.”

6. Little Shop of Horrors 

“We were able to rent very expensive and gorgeous giant Audrey II puppets from a Broadway company which added a lot to the production.”

7. The Little Mermaid

“The show was visually stunning with gorgeous costumes and actors who were able to fly during the production.”

8. The Addams Family

“Jacob Gage and Chase Payne were amazing. Period.”

9. Anything Goes

“The entire cast learned to tap dance for the production.”

10. Pippin

“This has some of my favorite Broadway music. We also had identical lead boys who played the two leads who are now actors in Los Angeles.”