Hallways remain empty as students stay virtual

The hallways are much less full this semester, with many kids learning from home. The halls and classrooms are even below 25% capacity some days.

Gus Osborn, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The amount of students in the building is significantly lower than it has ever been on a given school day. Only about a quarter of the student body is in the building during school hours.

The lack of students in the building has changed the flow of the school. Hybrid learning has created different environments for students and staff alike.

“The halls are way less crowded and there is no traffic when walking to class,” said junior Caden Lesnick. Lesnick, along with everyone else, used to face heavy foot traffic with around 4,000 people in the building. Now, that number is closer to 1,000 each day.

“The cafeteria is very quiet now too,” Lesnick said. The cafeteria’s noise used to echo through the halls. Limited talking due assigned and spaced out seats has led to the drop in noise. 

Teachers are facing changes just like the students. “It’s awkward when you have only one or two kids in the room,” math teacher Matthew Riley said. Riley finds it difficult to teach with few kids in the room because it is easy to not notice them. His attention is directed to the majority of kids, on his computer. 

This semester there are many less students in the building compared to last semester.     “There is definitely a drop in students since last semester,” Riley said. Last semester, he had seven or eight kids in almost every class. Now, it’s closer to three or four.