Girls soccer comes up short in sectional championship

Team loses four seniors to graduation

Isaiah Rosner, Reporter

The girls soccer team was defeated 2-1 by Guerin Catholic in the sectional championship on October 10. While the loss ended the state championship campaign, the crew was successful during the season, and even dominant at times. 

They racked up 11 wins to just three losses and two ties before the playoffs. Ten of their 11 victories were shutouts, including outings in which they scored 10 and nine goals. The only defeats were against Center Grove, Carmel and Park Tudor. 

In the tournament, North Central beat both Pike and Westfield by multiple goals before falling to GC.

The most effective offensive weapon was sophomore Samantha King, who accumulated 20 goals and nine assists. This includes a string of five consecutive games with at least two goals scored. King led the team with 14 steals as well.

Junior Kasidy Schenk was also a great option, as she was responsible for 15 goals and six assists. Schenk achieved a hat trick in a 9-0 rout of Ben Davis.

Another player to note is junior Sophia Grueninger, who led the team in assists with 11, and had 10 steals.

The defense, led by senior Miranda Ferguson, was arguably even more impressive. They allowed just 11 goals all year for an average of 0.55 goals allowed per game. 

Sophomore goalkeeper Maryn Weiger was also a centerpiece in making this happen. Weiger went up against 75 shots on goal throughout the year, and saved 66 of them. She also, of course, had nine clean sheets.

“We’re really strong individuals, and can play any position when asked,” King said. “We had to switch from a 4-4-2 (formation) to a 3-5-2 in the middle of a game.”

She was positive when discussing the season as a whole.

“I call it a success, but I wish we had gone farther in (the) Marion County (tournament) and sectionals. But we have a strong defense and offense, and we are a young team, which is good because it can bode really well for our future,” King said.

The squad will have much of their starting lineup return next season. Of the 17 players who played at least 500 minutes, just three of them are seniors.