Moreland excited at chance to serve board

Connor Thompson, Editor-in-chief

Doran Moreland is running for the Washington Township School Board for the first time this year. Moreland grew up in Indianapolis, attending Washington Township schools from kindergarten to junior year. He aims to improve the township through listening to families and working to guarantee opportunities for all students.

Q: What are your short term goals for the township?
My short term goal is to listen and learn. I plan to listen to students and families, teachers, administrators, and fellow board members. I think one of the biggest mistakes a leader can make is to act before becoming informed. I’ve spent the past few months walking through neighborhoods in Washington Township to introduce myself and to hear directly from families. I will remain just as accessible once on the School Board.

Q: What are your long term goals for the township?

Long term, I would like to provide support to our administration in delivering equitable outcomes. Washington Township has fantastic programs, such as Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, etc. I would like to see more of our students participating in these programs. I’m very pleased with the direction set by the Administration and current Board in this area. They have infused equity throughout the District’s strategic plan. As a board member I see it as my role to help clear the path for our administrators and school leaders to accomplish the goals set forth.

Q: Why do you want to be on the school board?
I grew up in Washington Township attending Crooked Creek, Harcourt, Westlane and North Central, and my experiences in these schools prepared me for adulthood. My professional backgrounds in government and education have also pointed me in this direction. I also highly value community service, and serving on the School Board is a great way to give back to the community that has given so much to me.

Q: What is the number one thing you would change within the township? Why would you change it?
I would like to ensure that every child has the best elementary school experience possible. My younger daughter is currently in 3rd grade at Allisonville and she is having an exceptional time. It’s my aim that all young children and their families feel the same about their elementary school no matter where they live in our district. This is important because the formative years in elementary school shape the trajectory of a student’s path through middle school and high school.

Q: How would your goals help the students and teachers?
I plan to be present and accessible to hear directly from students and teachers. After listening I will have a better understanding of what success looks like from their points of view. Helping students learn about the opportunities that await them post-graduation will make learning more exciting and meaningful for them. Providing more support and flexibility for teachers will make teaching more enjoyable.

Q: What strengths do you have that will help/improve the township?

I am a really good listener. I get along well with others. I’m not afraid to address the big challenges that often go unspoken. I approach challenges with humility.

Q: What motivates you to want to be a school board member?
I am motivated by the potential we have for building an excellent community. Washington Township is vitally important to the health of Central Indiana. Every student who succeeds helps to make our community stronger.

Editor’s note: NCHS Live! was unable to independently verify Moreland’s college education. Indiana University’s bursar and alumni association, as well as the Student Clearinghouse, were unable to verify his degree. Once confirmed we will update our verification.