Sophomore Meg Newman begins heavy recruitment

Meg Newman, sophomore, has 10 div-1 offers for basketball. Some of these offers include schools like Purdue, Dayton, Wisconsin and Villanova. Newman has played the sport since she was 3 years old with the goal of playing college ball. Both of her parents were college athletes, so she is motivated to follow in their footsteps.

Starting as the team’s forward her freshman and sophomore year, Newman keeps up the hard work off and on the court.

“When I play I just think about how much I love basketball and how much I care about everything turning out ideally in the end,” Newman said. “It motivates me to perform better for myself and my teammates.”

In the off season, Newman plays AAU basketball for the 17u Indiana Elite team. This past season she lead her AAU team to a record of 25 wins and six losses.

From a young age she has been competitive. Newman attended the All-American Games in Dallas, Texas and came in 6th place at the Adidas Sectionals playing against teams that were two years older.  Just recently, colleges have started to recruit at an early age and Newman is right with it.

Although she is only a sophomore and has plenty of time to decide what college she would like to play at, she does have some plans for playing ball in the future. Newman plans to play at a school in one of the power five conferences. Also, Newman plans to play for a school that has one of the top 10 programs in the country.

– Grace Glass