Fights becoming more frequent

School fights have become an epidemic in today’s society with people recording every fight they see.

A study by the National Center for Education Statistics concluded that over 79 percent of public schools recorded a school fight happened in one way or another. In a study in 2011, 20 percent of high school students were bullied at school and 33 percent reported being involved in a physical altercation that year.

A big reason that high school fights happen is bullying, especially bullying that happens online or on social media.

In 2011, over one million people were harassed, threatened, or subjected to other forms of cyberbullying on Facebook and other types of social media.

“To prevent cyberbullying we should make sure everybody is doing their own thing on social media,” sophomore Jada Roberson said.

The problem with cyberbullying is that over 50 percent of people who’ve been bullied on social media do not tell their parents, guardians, or teachers, leaving them with little or no options on how to prevent it.

“If a student is getting bullied they should go to their parents and explain to their parents and have the school take better actions. I wouldn’t stay silent,” senior Sjon Barnett said.

This makes people wonder how school fights or even bullying will end, with many believing that it will never end.

“To end school fights we should put the people who get along in the same classroom and people who wanna [fight] in different classrooms,” freshman Darwin Owsley said.

Hunter Rhea