NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Students enjoy NBA season starting

Photograph courtesy of Pacers photo media website page.

The NBA pre-season games are played prior to the 82-game regular season. These games are essentially meaningless and a lot of the superstars sit during these games due to risk of injury. Most teams use the games to test strategies or to try out recently acquired players.

NBA basketball returned Friday as preseason action began. Many students around the building follow the NBA and are excited for its return.

Junior Brendan Biddle enjoys watching NBA games in his free time.

“I think the Warriors will compete in the 2018-19 NBA Championship versus the Celtics or Lakers,” Biddle said.
Senior Joel Henkel enjoys playing basketball in his free time and also enjoys watching the NBA regular season.

“I think this year LeBron will lead the Lakers to the championship and play against the Celtics,” Henkel said.
Senior Jackson Lindsey has always loved the sport of basketball and tries to play as much as he can. Watching the NBA season helps him learn new moves to help improve his game.

“I think this year the championship will be completely different, with the Nuggets competing against the 76ers,” Lindsey said.
Senior Ruthie Snyder played basketball throughout middle school and has always loved the sport. She enjoys predicting the NBA Finals winner before the regular season begins.

“I think this year the Warriors will win in a three-peat against the young roster of the 76ers,” Snyder said.

1. Who is healthy/out of shape?

If a player ended the previous season with an injury or had offseason surgery, the preseason serves as a gauge to see if the injury will linger into the new year. If a player spent his summer recovering from injury or decided to take a break, the preseason displays this.

So far, Miami Heat guard Dion Waiters is not yet healthy or in shape, while recently-traded Toronto Raptors forward Kawhi Leonard appears to be fine.

1. Who will be starters?

For teams with question marks at starting positions — which applies to nearly every team, even the Warriors, who will need to pick a starting center until DeMarcus Cousins is ready — the first couple of preseason games shows who’s in the lead for those spots.

In the Los Angeles Lakers’ preseason debut on Sunday, Brandon Ingram, Rajon Rondo, JaVale McGee, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope got the nod LeBron James. Lonzo Ball will most likely start over Rondo or Caldwell-Pope during the regular season plays. The Pelicans started Elfrid Payton alongside Jrue Holiday in their debut. Gordon Hayward started with both Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown in Boston.

1. What rules are referees going to emphasize for the preseason and the first three weeks of the regular season before possibly abandoning?

Beginning with the 2018 NBA preseason, the shot clock will reset to 14 seconds in offensive rebounding situations, as opposed to 24; the clear path foul rule will be simplified; and the definition of a “hostile act” will be expanded for purposes of triggering instant replay review.

• Shot Clock Reset – The shot clock will reset to 14 seconds in three scenarios: after an offensive rebound of a missed field goal or free throw that hit the rim; after a loose ball foul is called on the defensive team immediately following a missed field goal or free throw that hit the rim; or after the offensive team gets possession of the ball after it goes out of bounds immediately following a missed field goal or free throw that hit the rim.
  • Simplification of the Clear Path Foul Rule – The changes to the clear path foul rule establish “bright line” standards based on the position of players at the time of the foul while also narrowing required referee judgment and reducing the number of variables impacting the rule’s application.
  • Expanded Definition of “Hostile Act” for Replay Purposes – For purposes of triggering instant replay review, the definition of a “hostile act” has been broadened to enable referees to determine the appropriate penalty for players or coaches if they are involved in hostile encounters with each other, referees or fans.

Sean Miller