Senioritis strikes again

Past students have experienced symptoms of senioritis. Activities like football games distract them from their school duties.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines senioritis as “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades.” Parents, teachers, and anyone with students in high school warn their students about slacking senior year, the infamous senioritis.

Evans Branigan III, the principal, touched on the subject of senioritis briefly at the senior assembly last Friday.

Branigan, a former psychology teacher, mentioned that senioritis is not a clinical disease of any kind, and the issue is not a real thing, merely an idea or social construct.

Saying that senioritis is not a real thing in front of the entire senior grade may be a motivational tool, an attempt to inspire the senior class to not fall under the spell of the mythical disease.

However, the disease, whether it’s considered real or not, may not be as prominent as it is made to seem.

Liam Hopkins is a senior who feels that he is more motivated to work hard senior year, unaffected by senioritis.

“I have more stuff to get done to graduate,” Hopkins said, “I’m definitely more motivated this year.”

Skyler Blackwell is also a senior with a similar mindset. His intended future to wrestle at IU plays an important role in his academics now.

“It [this school year] means a lot, it’s pretty much for all of the marbles,” Blackwell said, “I have to do all it [schoolwork], so I can keep my full ride to IU.”

Senior year brings not only school work, but unlike past years, seniors begin to apply to colleges. Although senioritis and its main symptoms may not stand out as much, they may begin to be seen after seniors are accepted to colleges and later in the school year.

Senior Gabby Stowers feels that after first semester her effort may taper off.

“During first semester, I really plan on going hard and doing all my work, but second semester I will probably slack a bit,” Stowers said.

Senioritis may not be as menacing of a disease as it has been made to seem, however some symptoms may be more apparent towards the end of senior year.

Charlie Peterson, Zach Behrmann, Alek Shahbaz