NCHS LIVE!

NCHS LIVE!

Orchestra Travels Abroad Over Spring Break

For spring break, orchestra traveled to play their music in Austria and had their own time to have fun and relax.

“We went to Vienna, Austria, famous for being the home of some of the greatest composers and musicians of all time such as Mozart, Beethoven, Hayden and countless others,” sophomore Elena Ward said.

There were 40 students and 10 adults on the trip.

For violin player, Ward, her favorite part was her free time and fun that she has been looking forward to for a long time.

“My favorite part of the trip was getting to go to the Spanish Riding School and see the Lippizaner horses because it’s been a dream of mine since I was eight years old,” Ward said.

The main goal of the trip was the orchestra and helping the students explore while on vacation.

“The goal of the trip was to experience the musical culture that we’ve all been involved in for so many years, and of course what better place to do that than the city of music,” Ward said.

“The goal of the trip was to play great music as an orchestra in the classical music capital of the world,” sophomore Nicholas Jager said, “The trip also aimed to expose students to a new culture and show the rich history of Vienna.”

The group also had time to explore around Vienna after playing their music, which was many students favorite part.

“For the trip we went to Vienna with a few excursions outside the city to see country palaces, small towns, or a monastery. While in Vienna we visited numerous incredibly luxurious palaces, multiple huge cathedrals with incredible vaulting ceilings, and lots of shopping and food filled streets,” Jager said.

The memories made on the orchestra trip will remain with the students forever; along with the important life lessons they learned.

“While on trip, I learned the true importance of music by seeing the impact music can have on a society and culture, even after hundreds of years,” Ward said.

“My favorite part of the trip was having the opportunity as a freshman to make new friends within the orchestra.  Also I loved tasting the wonderful food,” freshman Camilla Ullom said.
“My favourite part of the trip was spending time with friends on beautiful Austrian streets hunting for bakeries and gelato.I learned from the trip that it is important to recognize other cultures, and to recognize the beauty and impact of classical music,” Jager said.