New lunch seating policy excites students

Students sit either four or six to a table, respecting the new seating policy. Each day they scan the QR code at their table for attendance.

Seth Eaton, Opinion Section Editor

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the lunch periods have been altered to reflect new safety measures. Last school year, the desks were separated with at least three feet in between them, and the school assigned the lunch seats. Many students felt this took away a significant piece of their lunchroom experience. The lunchroom was quiet and dull instead of its typical energetic feeling. Students were not allowed out of their seats. Unless you were lucky enough to be seated by a friend, socializing was nearly impossible.

You have the option to sit in four locations for lunch: the main cafeteria, the senior cafeteria, the lower library and art gallery.

This year, there is a new lunch seating policy. On the first day of school, students got to choose where they sat and with whom. Once students are seated, they must sit there for the rest of the semester and sign in for attendance daily. The students seem to enjoy this year’s policy more than last year’s. 

“I like the policy because it keeps us safe and I like my seat. This one is way better [in comparison to last year’s seating]. It’s better that you get to choose your own seat than someone else choosing for you,” junior Jaiden Gray said. 

“It’s conscientious and smart. It helps with the contact tracing and allows students to have fun,” junior Thomas Kitchel said. 

Most students agree that the policy allows them to have fun and that it is an excellent way to help keep them safe from COVID-19. Senior Baw Reh believes the rules should not be changed. 

“As long as they make sure everyone follows the rules. Staying in the same spot every day is a good rule,” Reh said. 

Even though some students like the policy, other students think necessary changes need to be addressed.  

Sophomore Jessica Gritton thinks that students should be able to change their seats every nine weeks.  If a student happens to be in a seat that is not desirable, they’re stuck there for the rest of the semester.

“It is a lot shorter than a semester, so you can change your seat if you don’t like it,” Gritton said. 

Junior Morgan Henry thinks that permanent seating should have been chosen once classes were finalized. 

“After people switch schedules, then they [the school should assign seats because people who got their schedules changed now can’t choose,” Henry said. Even with this flaw, Henry believes the policy is an improvement upon the previous year. 

“It is definitely better than last year. Last year was like a jail,” Henry said.