Students Prepare for Upcoming Net Night

By Katie Manion and Maggie O’Donnell

Each year for the past eight years, Key Club, All for Children Club and AVID work together to put on a fundraiser to support the fight against malaria in Africa. All of the proceeds from the event will benefit the Against Malaria Foundation.

The clubs will be putting on a basketball tournament and a carnival, as well as selling food.

Science teacher Chelsea Parsey is assisting with the event for the first time this year.

“There are 12 confirmed teams that will play an eight minute game,” Parsey said.

The groups have promoted the event via commercials, posters, t-shirts and word of mouth.

In the past, the money raised has provided 7,411 mosquito nets and protected 13,340 people in roughly 26 villages in places such as Uganda, Kenya, Malawi and Ghana.

“It is important because so many children and mothers die by the thousands every year from malaria and every five dollars can save a life,” All for Children Club president Hadley Johnson said,“anyone can participate as long as they have a concussion form and are 14 or older.”
This year the groups do not have a fundraising goal, however they are hoping for a large turnout. The event will be held on Friday, April 7th in the main and upper gyms.